Sunday, July 28, 2013

What I'm going to miss

Here we are on our last day in Abengourou. It's Sunday morning and I'm sitting at the desk in the bedroom I've stayed in most of the summer and drinking tea from my favorite mug like I do every morning - for the last time. I'm getting ready for church - for the last time. I'm walking to the clinic (where the church is) - for the last time.

Friday night was our last afternoon trip to Zamaka where Andy gave a Bible study (this week it was about prayer). On our drive out there, he asked us what we were going to miss about Ivory Coast - that is no small question! We talked about it a little bit on the way there, but here are a few things I'm going to miss...


  • The walk from the house to the clinic. We see a lot of interesting things and meet a lot of interesting people :) 
  • Greeting everyone when we walk into a room.
  • Hearing French everywhere. 
  • The Gables - our host missionaries!  (I love this family a lot :))
  • Playing dress up with little Gable girls. 
  • Watching Harry Potter on the weekends - I had never seen it and the Gable boys can explain every spell to me (and act them out! :)) 
  • Figuring out the markets.
  • Working in the pharmacy with Koffi and Elise and Edith and Mme Tro - they are so fun :)
  • Visiting the kids in the school program.
  • Getting French lessons from our social workers/translators/Anouansse (not to brag, but we know directions so well that we could probably successfully get from our house to the market using a French GPS...maybe... ;))
  • Wednesday post-home visit lunches. 
  • The way that time works here - it's a slower pace. 
  • "Attieke and fish Thursdays" and movie and game nights with the Gables. Or just whenever they came over and talked for a long time - those were some of my favorite times - and I will so miss the wisdom and knowledge they shared with us. We learn so much from them! 
  • People carrying things on their heads and babies on their backs. 
  • Pretty, colorful pagnes. 
  • Listening to Magic System in the car!
  • Collecting eggs at the chicken farm and sorting them with Emmanuel
  • Danica playing the guitar and singing - and our 2 newest friends Vanessa and Elodie singing and dancing along 
  • Distinguishing between African languages - Djoula, Agni, Baoule. (note: I am not good at this. but if they happen to say "white" or "okay" I'm all over it. :))
  • Fatou and Noufou and Miriam - I could go on and on but the last blog is all about them so I won't. :)
  • Going to lots of village churches. 
  • Wearing long skirts every day.
  • It's so warm and it's not even the hot season!
  • The way we were able to pray for each child during home visits, regardless of religion.
  • African drums in church services. 
  • We love our missionaries:)
    Gilbert & Francois at the dam after home visits
    Last week we had a carnival for the school kids!
    Dinner at Vanessa's house
    Tea & favorite mug
  • Every prayer concluding with "au nom de Jesus" (in the name of Jesus) 
I could go on and on and on, but I won't (if you read the whole thing you deserve a prize:)). I love Ivory Coast. I'm for sure going to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment